This is the rough draft I made of the Rhetorical map. As you can see, it's hand drawn, which is much less appealing to look at. For the final draft I decided to find a website which allowed me to create a flow chart.
This is the first draft of the Info graphic. If you look close at some of the details there are small things that are changed and added. I added some of the suggestions made to me during the peer review, for example, adding the comment that side effects of the vaccines vary from person to person and more statistics about the blood clots for the Johnson and Johnson.
Uptake = The needed knowlege for the "Rules of play" that genres induce. Uptake is the action of knowing these rules in order to have a meaningful influence within a genre.
Genre systems = a group of genres cooperating withing a culture to achieve a certain action or set of actions.
Genre sets = groupings of genres that are ascositaed by collective functions and actions.
Genre chronotope = The influences of the time (When it was written) and the space (Where it was written) in Genres
Meta-Genres = Genres that are associated by their context and within a system.
Activity systems = The interactions between genres
Uptake was the most interesting aspect that I learned about. For writing itself, it is the most important concept to know, the others are more to understand the rhetorical landscape as a whole. Whenever enterig into a new genre, one should know the uptake and understand how the rules work inorder to get across a coherent idea. This is something that I'll take with me on my future writing assignments.
Genre chronotope was also very interesting because I said something similar in the first 90s podcast. The time and the place of the work is very important for understanding it as a whole and the chronotope is more about that. When I mentioned it in the 90s podcast I was more talking about the ecology, while this is more internal.
Generic uptake involves the subjects choice of symbolized forms and how they are inserted into new situations
Discursive uptake is similar to Generic uptake but involves the use of key phrases instead of forms of discourse.
Generic is, as the name suggests, much more broad in its focus and should probably be used for the diagnosis of more common or typical illnesses. Discursive is much more focused on the individual rather than the collective so this is getting into more personal and, for the case of the patients and doctors, much more specific on the type of illness or ailment which the patient is expreiencing.
This article provided a good real-world applications of some of the concepts we've been talking about in class. It was far more abstract in previous lessons, which made it harder to understand. Now it has a little more grounding and makes the concepts more easily grasped. My second takeaway was the more specific forms of uptake that we enccountered. We now have one form which focuses on generalized forms while the other looks at more individual aspects.
1. The rhetorical situation that I am participating in is the government response and handling of finalcial aid and assistance for people during the Covid-19 pandemic and the ongoing economic fallout from lockdowns and quarentine. I want the audience to be alert and informed about the decissions which are made by the senate and other government organizaions regarding the assiastance package.
2. My project will be an article which includes mainly a written portion, but can also includes a visual mode portion like pictures, graphs, and charts. Sometimes these elements provide critical information in the form of scientific data, but mainly it may just give some context, for example, an important figure or places image. The main part of the project will be the written part which will provide all of the information conveyed.
3. THe genre is news article and it has some constraints and affordances. One constraint is to minimize opinion of the topic shown in the article. This can only be done to an extent, as bias and opinion can creep in very subtly, but the article should remain as neutral and unbias about the topic as possible. Another constraint may be a lack of information. There is only so much info which is allowed to the public about the actions of the government and this may get in the way of writing the article.
1. Multimodal composition is the utilization of several genres to present a message. For example, a mix of visual, audio, or gestures for an express purpose.
2. The three listed reasons for the inclusion of multimodal composing assignments in writing classes are its ability to help learn digital literacy, helping to expand ones understanding outside of acedemia, and presendt real and usable skills for a career in the workforce. I think that multimodal projects are more inline with real life projects. Not everything is constrained to one genre and learning how to fuse them together to most optimally present a message or argument is best.
3. Many projects have necesitated the use of multimodal transmission. Whenever I would have to give a presentation, that would require th genre of speech and gestures, and also I would have visual tools, like slides and videos to further help
Hello Lily, I think that this is is a great start to your project and it seems that you have a very clear idea of what your post is going to be. I'm not to familiar with the platform tumblr so I can't be sure how accurate it is to your average tumblr post, but I think the purpose and arguement made by the post is very clear. The use of a comic strip is very good and I like the drawings. It was a little hard to read some of the writting within the comic, so I would watch out for that. You could try typeing the words and placeing them in the bubbles. It seems that your on a good track with the essay portion and have a lot to say. Your plans for the use of color seems good and will make the post much more virant to look at. I would say that your project is at a very good starting point and that it will be great after you write the essay and finish the comic.
These are some of the drafts I made for the weekly responses. They still have some of the spelling errors and grammar mistakes that were eventually fixed.